This award is based upon individual performance, either on record or in person within the eligibility period.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The artist must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing.
Male Artist of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE – The ten (10) contenders for the Male Artist of the Year Award will be determined by a formula of 60% sales and 40% spins within the eligibility period and verified by the CCMA’s Awards & Balloting Committee. These results will be compiled by Nielsen Entertainment;
- STEP TWO (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- STEP THREE (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
- The Male Artist of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA.